Tuesday, March 15, 2005

Hurt Me

So, I'm heading to the gym this morning to be tortured by a coworker who's getting her Pilates certification. It's my understanding that I'm to be put through a number of horrific contortions, up to an including some "work" on what the marketers call the "Reformer" but what really amounts to an Inquisition-style torture rack (go to simplypilates.com - the first picture when you enter the site features the horrid device).

Why am I doing this, you ask? For a couple of reasons, though I'm not sure how convinced I will be that either of them will stand up as valid when I can't breathe tomorrow. The first reason is that Deb is trying to rack up (I LOVE puns!) enough time on the device with "clients" to earn her certification and I, being a closet team-player, agreeed to help her to that end. The second reason is that I put myself out of commission for more than a month the last time I put my back out, and I did this by SNEEZING in the Friday's parking lot. Sneezing. Ahhh-chooo. Done. For a month. That's just not ok with me. My chiropractor told me, a few days before Deb approached me to be her guinea pig, that strengthening my abs might help make my low back less fragile. Deb assures me that working on the rack will "strengthen the core" (Pilates even has it's own language) and will only do me good.

Here's hoping.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kizz said...

You know that I love the Pilates, right? Some people hate it because of all that core stuff. I love it because it's only like 5 or 10 reps of anything. But I do the mat work, never tried the rack. Can't wait to hear how you find that.

OK, upon re-reading I'd have to say that I love the IDEA of Pilates. Clearly, since I barely ever work out at all I can't really say I love Pilates as a practice.

3/15/2005 12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home